Union Valley Elementary School
Union Valley Elementary opened its doors in September of 2001.
It is named after The Union Valley School that was constructed in 1855, a one-room, ungraded school. Some time prior to 1886, a new school district was formed around this school and the school acquired the name of Union Valley # 44.
Folk stories indicate that teachers would not stay on at the school because they had to board in private homes with few conveniences. In addition, transportation facilities were inadequate as the roads were often impassable and treacherous in the Winter because of snow and in the Spring due to mud conditions.
Other school day hardships involved the lack of adequate drinking water. Water had to be brought into the school in a bucket from the nearest farm house. Twice a day, two students were sent on this errand.
Union Valley #44 continued to serve the Erial children and community until 1932. At that time, the children were all transferred to the Grenloch School. In 1937, the school was sold by the Board of Education for use as a private home.